Job title DHIS2 Consultant
Department South Africa International
Based in Luanda, Angola
Reports to the Research and Monitoring Director
Starting Date September 2017
Duration of Contract 3 – 6 months
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Population Services International Angola (PSI Angola) is a non-profit social marketing organization. PSI Angola creates demand for essential health products and services, using private sector marketing techniques and innovative communication campaigns. In March 2017, it initiated a project aimed at strengthening the health systems in Angola, particularly in the areas of malaria, HIV and family planning. The project, named Health for All (HFA), will be implemented in different provinces of the country and will last for 5 years: 2017-2021. The project is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
PSI Angola seeks highly qualified candidates in designing, configuring and implementing DHIS2 and who have previous experience working with NGOs and governmental entities. The Consultant will work closely with programmatic and monitoring teams of PSI Angola and PSI Global, the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), and the Presidential Malaria Initiative (PMI). The coordinator will receive support from one to two PSI Angola monitoring specialists who have recently received training on DHIS2 Academy (level 1).
Sound like you? Read on.
- Provide technical assistance in the design, configuration and implementation of DHIS2 as a tool for monitoring health indicators that respond to the needs of the HFA program.
- Evaluate the current DHIS2 pilot system developed by another organization in one province, and improve/expand/create the organizational units, tools for data collection, data entry, data flow creation, etc., in accordance with the program objectives.
- Link different forms of mobile data collection used by PSI Angola and other organizations to the DHIS2 system.
- Provide necessary training to personnel responsible for collecting and inserting data in different provinces and programs.
- Coordinate the migration of historical data collected through excel sheets or other electronic systems.
- Manage basic functions in DHIS2 including favorites, indicators, groups of indicators, reports, users, user groups, options, programs, organizational units, among others.
- Develop capacity of local employees to become DHIS2 local system administrators and to be able to give maintenance to the organizational units, manage users and electronic data collection cards.
- Create and implement data quality control templates and develop user manual.
- Train staff to periodically perform data auditing and data quality controls.
- Update the list of users
- Manage sharing settings in DHIS2 for PSI Angola.
- Design dashboards for analysis and decision-making.
- Provide necessary training on dashboard interpretation to the personnel responsible for making decisions.
What are we looking for?
- Candidates must have at minimum a bachelor degree in computer science, public health, social sciences, or similar fields. Graduate degree is preferable.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Proven experience in architecture, configuration and use of DHIS2 and other information management systems.
- Interpersonal skills to work in teams, especially with governmental entities and international organizations.
- Be familiar with mobile applications used in data collection for monitoring (mobile applications linked to DHIS2).
- Compulsory computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, GIS Arc., DHIS).
- Speak and write in English and in Portuguese/Spanish.
What would get us excited?
- Analytical reasoning
- Presentation skills
- Planning and organization skills
- Able to meet deadlines satisfactorily
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.