The Assistant Project Accountant provides support to the Finance and Administration Manager and Project Accountant in the financial management administration of the country office resources and its field-offices by sharing in the responsibility of preparing all accounting and financial data and assisting with the day to day running of the accounts department.
1. Financial Accounting, Reporting and Control
2. Cash and Bank Management
3. Accounts payable
4. Fixed Asset Management
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- ZICA Technician Level or ACCA Level 1 or CIMA Level 1 required
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Economics or Finance
- 3 years’ professional experience in a private or public sector or non-governmental organization setting in financial administration
- Experienced in the application of accounting packages like Sun Systems, Pastel, Accpac.
- Understanding of the Zambian NGO environment preferred
- Experience working at Head Office Operations or Provincial Management is preferred
Technical Knowledge and Skills Required
- Ability to design control measures and checks in accounting and financial processing activities to mitigate risks of errors, omissions and fraud.
- Ability to advise managers and decision makers on financial processes, control measures, budgets and financial performance.
- Ability to check financial entries in multiple systems to ensure that transactions and records are kept in sync and that they have been recorded appropriately.
- Ability to catalogue and maintain registers that include the physical assets of the Organisation (movable and immovable) including its purchase information, asset numbers and valuations.
- Ability to plan a budget and manage income and expenditure, through responsible implementation of policies, practices and decisions.
- Knowledge of financial accounting principles and the ability to classify, measure and record transactions using the financial systems of the organisation
- Ability to build, analyse and interpret numerical and non-numerical data to determine potential risk exposure and statistical inferences to inform business decisions
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Knowledge of Donor regulations and procedures as they apply to daily work requirements
- Operational knowledge of BR approach and processes
- Operational knowledge of BR products
Role (foundational knowledge)
- Knowledge of accounting principles as they relate to a Grant/Government funded program
- Strong interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills,
- Ability to build professional relationships with key stakeholders
- Ability to react quickly to ad-hoc requests while managing an existing workload
Changing knowledge requirements
- Knowledge of relevant legislation impacting the organisation and Donor environment.
Core Competencies include:
- Analytical Thinking
- Results Orientation
- Client Orientation
- Initiating Innovation
- Controls Quality & Standards
- Planning and Organising