TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
The Technical Assistance Facility (TAF), managed by International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), and implemented by TechnoServe, is a grant-based facility that supports impact initiatives with the portfolio companies of the Africa Agriculture Fund (AAF) aiming to improve linkages between smallholders and the companies to enhance development impact in communities where the AAF invests. Ultimately, the project’s sponsors hope to increase local household incomes and food security, laying the foundation for sustainable long-term growth for both the portfolio partner and the community it benefits.
As Monitoring & Evaluation and Special Projects Consultant you will:
Report to IFAD TAF Manager and the TechnoServe TAF Program Director, based in Johannesburg. The principle role for the expert will be to lead the monitoring and evaluation of TAF projects alongside the TechnoServe team in Johannesburg. The expert will also have the opportunity to support design and implementation of outstanding AVC and SME Component projects, as well as lead, selected knowledge sharing and platform projects to communicate the results of the analysis to external stakeholders. This consultancy is anticipated to last 12-15 months.
Management of overall TAF project impact data and analytics
- Ownership of the TAF measurement plan and results chain
- Working closely with project portfolio managers to collect data, capture learnings and provide support to program monitoring and evaluation activities
- Presenting key findings and implications for program design
- Improvement of the return on investment models to allow understanding of future impact
- Trips to validate project data and design surveys and implement effective monitoring tools
- Designing and managing contracts for external monitoring and evaluation activities as required Implementation and monitoring support to TAF portfolio managers and service providers
- Working with the portfolio managers (particularly SME Component) to support the design of new projects and establishment of monitoring system appropriate for business development support (BDS) initiatives
- Supporting portfolio managers to produce exit strategies for selected high impact projects including sustainability business models
- Working together with portfolio managers to produce/refine/maintain high quality 2017-18 monitoring deliverables relating to project implementation.
- Review of current record-keeping processes and procedures; recommendations for improvement and integration; implementation of changes; documentation of new processes and procedures; training of employees affected by changes
- Packaging lessons learned for knowledge management and communications
- Production of training materials around best practice M&E for use by service providers and portfolio companies
- Training of implementation staff in M&E and impact modeling skills. This may require hands-on work in the field with TAPs to build their M&E capacity e.g. collecting/cleaning data to prepare for external evaluations Strengthen linkages with IFAD head office and country offices
- Ensure that the TAF implementing agency and service providers have close access to and work with the IFAD country program management teams.
- Ensure that IFAD’s own knowledge management activities incorporate the key lessons learned from the development and implementation of the TAF – given the growing interest in TAF-like facilities associated with investment funds
Strategic input and support to TAF management and special projects
- Proposing and introducing new technologies and innovations for data collection and monitoring systems
- Supporting and leading selected TAF platform projects for thematic knowledge sharing in consultation with TAF management
- Working with the management team to respond to proposal requests by potential development partners
- Promoting the program and supporting outreach to stakeholders including private sector and development partners. Preparing for the final evaluation of the TAF
- Draft terms of reference for external evaluation
- Collate and manage associated background material
- Support IFAD to manage consultants and site visits
You will have:
- A master’s degree and at least 3 years of demonstrated experience managing M&E for development programs
- Additional experience with strategy and management consulting preferred
- Should possess excellent financial and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team and to deliver results in a time-bound manner
- Strong skills in business software (Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- The right to work in South Africa will be considered an advantage
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YWNvd2VsbC45MjUxOS4zODMwQHRlY2hub3NlcnZlLm…