FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded HIV and AIDS care and treatment project in South Africa. The COP will be responsible for and have authority and oversight over the entire program to ensure optimal program, technical, and financial performance, as well as compliance with donor and FHI 360 policies and procedures. The COP will provide leadership, managerial, and technical support throughout the implementation of the project, including management of sub-awardees. The COPwill be responsible for providing input to USAID South Africa for the development and submission of the Health Operational Plans and PEPFAR Country Operating Plan technical and budget documents. On behalf of FHI 360, the COP bears ultimate responsibility for ensuring that sub-awardees and other implementing partners meet USAID, Dept. of Health, and PEPFAR program requirements. He/she will have main responsibility for representation of the project to both the United States Government (USG) and the South African Government.
The position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa, and will report to the FHI 360 South Africa Country Representative. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of the final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide overall management, strategic direction, and leadership to the project to achieve expected project results within budget and timeframe
- Ensure high level of coordination and nurture relationships with USAID South Africa, Department of Health (DoH), other related Government departments, and other stakeholders, including partner organizations
- Forge new alliances with stakeholders at the national, provincial, and local level, including potential new investors in HIV/AIDS care and treatment
- Liaise with USG partners and other donors and implementing agencies to ensure coordination of and synergy with other care and treatment efforts in South Africa
- Ensure program delivers results, suggest changes or adjustments based on strategic, tactical and operational feedback
- Oversee report preparation to meet USAID and corporate reporting requirements to document program performance, monitoring, and overall award compliance
- Lead preparation of annual work-plans, project activity updates, and other project-related communication and reporting materials
- Provide overall financial oversight of the budget over the life of the project
- Oversee a team of senior technical, program, and finance staff and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained amongst the team members
- As project representative for FHI 360, serve as principal liaison to USAID’s mission in South Africa and the South African Government
- Represent the project at regional, national, and international forums, including technical conferences, policy briefings, etc.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, or international equivalent (Master’s degree preferred), in international public health, behavioral or life/social sciences, human development, environmental health, education, communications, international development, or related field
- Minimum of seven years’ management experience as a Chief of Party, Program Director, or equivalent on large, complex, and multifaceted USG-funded projects; experience managing service delivery and capacity building projects; experience managing multiple field offices
- Substantial experience in HIV/AIDS care, treatment, and/or support programs, preferably in South Africa, or Sub-Saharan Africa
- Strong skills and experience in all aspects of program cycle management – design and development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent knowledge of U.S. Government approaches and regulations; in-depth understanding of U.S. government development assistance mission, values, and principles
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive terrain and maintain constructive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders; proven experience working with private sector funders
- Ability to provide programmatic and financial oversight, ensuring quality programmatic and financial reporting
- Excellent team player with good skills in team work and consultative approach to decision making; proven leadership of diverse teams and crisis management; proven coaching, facilitation, and communication skills
- Outstanding English-language skills, both spoken and written
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Closing date: 25 Aug 2017