TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
China has invested in Agriculture Technology Demonstration Centers (ATDCs) across Africa to share Chinese experience, modes and technologies for the benefit of African smallholder farmers (SHFs). The project will provide technical assistance to the Zambia and Mozambique ATDCs to drive organizational change management and partnership building between the centers and local government and non-government stakeholders; demonstrate and scale-up technologies in rice and poultry value chains; and develop the centers’ capacity for technology sourcing and evaluation. The project will require significant stakeholder management between Chinese, Zambian and Mozambican private sector stakeholders, government agencies, the ATDCs and smallholder farmer representatives to ensure alignment on the future of the ATDCs and position them for success. This is a high profile opportunity to lead an international, multi-sectoral team and align multiple local and international stakeholders to ensure the ATDCs develop into sustainable centers making a significant impact at a national level.
The program will have one country manager for each target country—one in Zambia and one in Mozambique. The Country Manager will mentor and advise the ATDC in their country to develop a business and change management plan and to execute against that plan. The country manager will manage a program staff of three to ensure that ATDC activities are aligned to identify, demonstrate, pilot and scale agricultural technologies in targeted value chains that have positive benefits for farmers. The manager will need to influence local for profit and non-profit partners to participate in the testing and scaling of the technology. Facilitating market development of the identified technologies will be a key function.
As Country Manager:
Country Team Management
- Develop business plan and change management plan for the ATDCs
- Build the business case for value chains the ATDCs will focus on
- Leverage research to identify what drives impact for the farmer and value to the supply chain, and build the model that will achieve scalable sustainability and improved quality of technology distribution
- Develop and execute detailed country work plan that identifies, prioritizes and sequences the activities required for successful delivery
- Ensure each country team member is executing to the work plan and meeting targets and milestones associated with all program work streams
- Lead interaction with ATDCs and country stakeholders
- Support ATDC staff to implement against the business plan and change management plan
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with key personnel in local and Chinese governments, Chinese operators, research institutions, and the private sector including processors, seed companies, financial institutions, NGOs, farmers and other industry stakeholders in the areas of operation
Other Duties as Assigned
You will have:
- A bachelor’s degree and at least 7 years of experience. A master’s degree and at least 5 years of experience strongly preferred
- Expertise in change management with businesses and/or public institutions, preferably in sub-Saharan African and/or China
- Experience coaching clients in a multi-cultural context
- Proven ability to manage complex multi-stakeholder processes
- Strong project management and analytical skills
- Proven ability to build rapport among internal and external stakeholders, particularly government and private sector stakeholders
- Experience working in China and/or with Chinese organizations preferred
- Understanding of agricultural dynamics in Southern Africa preferred
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Excellent oral & written presentation skills required
- Fluency in Mandarin preferred
- Fluency in English required
- This position is contingent upon funding
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Click “Apply Now” to complete a short application and upload your resume and cover letter. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.