- Job Description
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms-vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations-that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health.
The Zambia Country Program portfolio includes projects across priority health programs such as malaria, nutrition and immunization, policy and advocacy as well as TB with funding from donors such as The United States Agency for International Development, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Conrad Hilton Foundation. With a staff establishment of 120, the PATH Zambia office is fast growing and the second largest office in Africa.
PATH is currently seeking to recruit a Deputy Country Director who will work in a complementary fashion with the Country Leader to effectively lead and manage the Zambia Country Program. The Deputy Country Director will provide regular technical support to assigned PATH Zambia project teams to help them establish quality, sound, reliable, effective, and efficient project management systems. S/he will work with the project teams in support of technical oversight and quality of PATH’s portfolio of projects.
Work with the Country Director to lead, direct and oversee PATH’s work in Zambia and contribute to PATH Zambia’s overall strategic and organizational development. Specifically;
- Work with the Country Director and selected PATH staff in Zambia and internationally to support the execution of the Zambia Country portfolio.
- Work with the Country Director to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Ministry of Health, partners including CSOs and current and potential donors.
- Co-ordinate PATH’s participation in key policy fora including TWGs and other technical and coordination bodies nationally and regionally both within the Government of Zambia’s MOH and other relevant ministries and NGO/CSO coordination bodies working closely with project directors.
- Support Business Development: Work with the Country Director to identify and respond to potential opportunities and assist in the expansion and diversification of PATH’s portfolio.
- Provide technical support and oversight to specific projects as directed by the Country Director and in consultation with project directors.
- Required Skills
- Master of Public Health (MPH), PhD or MD.
- At least 10 years’ experience in public health programming.
- At least 5 years’ experience working with an international NGO in one of the domain of health programs.
- Extensive experience in business development; including working with the private sector.
- Experience working on USAID funded projects
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and supervising staff and consultants in a cross-cultural context; demonstrated skills in coaching and mentoring staff.
- Experience in development and implementation of systems for grants and grant monitoring.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in one or more of the primary programming areas of the PATH Zambia projects, including experience conceptualizing, designing, appraising, and managing developing projects.
- Demonstrated experience in management of large projects with multiple partners.
- Strong leadership, strategic planning and technical skills, with proven capacity to direct and manage change, and inspire high-performing teams.
- Strong track record of MoH and donor liaison, including demonstrated ability to oversee the preparation of proposals for funding.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Zambia Health Systems and donor land scape
- Passion for and commitment to public health.
- Ability to interact and negotiate effectively with donor and collaborative agencies and private foundations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with private, public, and non-for-profit and for profit organizations
- Demonstrated skills in negotiations and effective communications with partner organizations.
- Ability to facilitate decision-making processes and to build constructive alliances internally and externally.
- Ability to provide technical support mentorship in in programmatic issues as necessary.
- Demonstrate ability to understand health global development issues, goals and strategies
- Strong written and oral communication skills English.
- Exceptional interpersonal, teamwork, partnering and supervisory skills.
- Ability to be flexible and manage and accomplish multiple priorities; results oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage multi-tasks at the same time
- Knowledgeable about information technology system
- Must have legal authorization to work in Zambia.
- This position remains open for applications until 10th August, 2017
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
- Job Location
- Lusaka, Lusaka, Zambia
- Company Location
- Zambia, Lusaka
- Position Type